Tuesday 27 January 2009

Facebook Scramble Statistics

I don't think I know anyone who isn't addicted to Scramble on Facebook, or judging by my Facebook thing, I know a lot of girls with large vocabularies.

Anyhoo, this is a cumulative frequency graph of my scores on Scramble. My average score is about 80, but I get around 85 and 95 most often now.

Pondering how people get huge scores without cheating, I thought about maybe its to do with how 'easy' the board is, and maybe wimmin with large vocabularies just hoover up a greater proportion of the possible words.

I mean, on average your highest possible score for a 5 x 5 grid is just over 1,200, and with my average, I get 7.8% of the highest possible, my spreadsheet says its got a standard deviation of 1.89%, that pretty constant, top whack I get 12%. So if a grid has a low highest possible value, I'll get a low score, and if the grid has a huge highest possible, then I'd get a higher score, but then so would anyone else.

Here, this graph shows a little bit of a correlation between the highest possible score and my achieved score.

So, based on the research carried out so far, if I wanted to beat the highest score in my wee Scramble circle, get to the top of my leaderboard, I'd need a grid with a highest possible score of around 4,500, or more than double the highest scoring grid I've seen.

So maybe that standard deviation is the same for everyone. If someone gets and average of 20% of the possible score. The average game for them will garner a score of 240, and if they're playing for a while, they'll get a grid worth 1,900 and if their stars are aligned, they peak at around 25% they can get their high score of 475.

See what I did there.

No comments:

Post a Comment