Thursday 29 April 2010

Is Germany Gillian Duffy?

Melina Popova, a disenfranchised Easten European, has a piece in The Guardian. She's not a happy kitten.
Words fail me. Yesterday I stared alternately at my screen and keyboard in complete and utter paralysis, while inside I was raging. At one point I actually genuinely broke down in tears and great heaving sobs.
She thinks that Gillian Duffy is a bigot.

I wonder though, does she think that Austria, Germany, France, Denmark and Belgium are bigot nations? Or the UK as a whole? I ask because when the A8 nations (Poland, Czech Republic, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Hungary, Slovakia and Slovenia) joined the European Union in 2004, the R5 nations (Austria, Germany, France, Denmark and Belgium) put in immigration controls to stop the Eastern Europeans flocking in ans swamping their labour markets. Even now six years later Germany and Austria have controls in place.

The UK already has a block on Bulgarian and Romanian migrants. Whilst Melina is shedding tears cos of one Rochdale resident, does she shed any tears for all the Bulgarians and Romanians who are unable to come here?

This one time when I lived in Glasgow I was discussing immigration with a friend who's mother was foreign, she was all precious about it, until I pointed out that I trumped her by being a first generation immigrant coming from England to Scotland for work.

**UPDATE**
Brilliant, it turns out the original piece was a Livejournal posting here, and she actually mentions The Indelicates who are a band I follow on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment