Friday 21 August 2009

Done gone and done it

The waiting is over, after months and months of dreams and despair, and patience, the end has been reached.

I now have a job. I start next week. With my dozen GCSEs and vintage A-levels, with my fading degree and successful career in the high tech sector, I now have a minimum wage job in a sandwich factory.

The salary is less than half what I was on in my previous job.

I dunno, maybe if I do the sums I'll be taking home more than if I just stay jobhunting living on benefits, most likely I'll be taking home the same money. I have a sneaky suspicion that my disposable income will be lower, I will be making a net loss. Every month that I work, I shall become poorer, less wealthy than if I was not working.

Any ambitions I had, dreams of what I wanted to do slipping further and further out of reach.

And for this reason, I finally took the plunge and bought myself an X-Box 360 and one game.

Technology and inflation has moved on and it's become cheaper than ever. And compared to how much in debt I am already and how much the bank charges me for going over my overdraft limit because the JSA/HB cocked up and cut off my benefits for a few weeks, there's abolutely no reason to put off buying one for a moment longer.

Oh, how I've dreamed of slipping in the Project Gotham Racing 4 disc, watching it spin into life and finally taking up the controller and racing round London. Months? Years? Who knows?

But now its within my grasp, all I must do is wait patiently a few hours more until my flatmate has vacated the living room and I can finally plug in.

The wait is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment