Tuesday 12 May 2009

Opting out of the minimum wage

I am currently unemployed. After eight years or so of continuous employment and paying National Insurance I now draw my Job Seekers Allowance, this is £60.50 a week.

Another way of looking at it would be equivalent to having a full time job paying £1.51 per hour. That's how much I am currently worth, and crikey, its depressing.

I've got a degree and speak a handful of languages and know the lore of computers and the internet, I know how to knit and type and write SQL, but my time is worth only £1.51 per hour.

Minimum wage is currently £5.73 per hour, almost four times my current value.

I would willing work for less than minimum wage if I had the opportunity. I would willingly opt out of the minimum wage given the choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment