Wednesday 23 July 2008

Yes man trailer

Here, watch this trailer for Jim Carrey's new film The Yes Man

And now, lets rant...

I wrote a book once, back at the start of the century, it was about a studenty chap who decides to spend a year acting out of character and tried to shag 100 girls in 12 months. Alas, when I mailed the draft manuscript round to publishers they either knocked it back or suggested it was a grottier version of another book that was doing the rounds that season, Danny Wallace's Join Me. One helpful subeditor mailed me a copy, and yeah there were vague similarities.

Danny Wallace had been writing for ages, computer game reviews and stuff, and it was him who kicked Dave Gorman into looking for 52 other Dave Gormans.

As a man who's controled by feelings of jealousy and envy, I decided Danny Wallace would be my arch enemy, never did much about it, but kept a wary eye on his activities. His madcap schemes seemed to get turned into radio shows and TV shows a bit more frequently than my own.

Damn him, if only I'd got my book mailed out a few months earlier.

Anyhoo, 2006 happens, and I find myself travelling round Spain reading Danny Wallace's then latest book The Yes Man. A similarly gimmicked book to the first one, about a chap doing something he wouldn't usually do, and answering yes whenever anyone asks him anything, again vaguely based on Danny Wallace's own activities during a twelve month period.

Somewhere on the back of the book there was mention of a Hollywood version.

And going by the trailer it looks like its only very vaguely based on the book. They haven't so much got an actor to play Danny Wallace, more like they have a Type-cast actor following the book's most basic premise.

The film of my book never got made, Ed Byrne probably never read the script I sent.

And instead years later, I have become Ed Byrne's character in Zemanovaload.

Its funny how these things pan out.

2 comments:

  1. I think Danny Wallace and Dave Gorman always moved in the right circles.

    You should write a book about how you decided to make Danny Wallace your arch-enemy.

    Paul S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or I could just set fire to him...

    ReplyDelete