Sunday 14 September 2008

Massi

Weekly (fortnightly) parential phonecall and my mum's telling me about my old school chum Ralf Little's new TV show, its called Massive.

I hadn't heard of it before, thought that young Ralf had dropped off the radar nd was one of these B-list drop casualities that Popbitch alludes to. Luckily I was wrong.

Anyhoo, since the age of sixteen and that fateful night in July '95 when Pnosni took me to a Cast/Longpigs gig at the Boardwalk in Manchester, I've bee going to lots of gigs, three or four a week for great swathes of the last fourteen years. I always dreams of starting a record label, but it wasn't until 2004 with my gran dying, and me using her inheritance to buy a decent printer and all the parephernalia to start making quality CDs in my computer. And weeks later discovering The Plimptons, who with a bit of luck could be bigger than Oasis.

This you already knew.

Over to Massive...
Inspired by the city's local heroes - Tony Wilson, Joy Division, The Mondays - the lads wile away the dreary office hours dreaming of their own record label. But while they put in the footwork when it comes to gigs (three a week) and beer (considerably more than that) time is ticking by and they're on the road to nowhere.

That is until Danny's gran pops her clogs. The mad old bat leaves him £10,000 and Danny doesn't hesitate - he and Shay are going to have their label. The lads jack in their jobs and find an office by the canal. Now all they've got to do is unearth the next Oasis and have a hit record...

1 comment:

  1. That's sooo brilliant! Did Ralf let you know he was basing this on you? Wow! He really looks like he's trying to be you in that photo! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete