Tuesday 12 August 2008

Wor

A few weeks back I went to the cinema with a girl, we saw Iron Man. She was kind of cute and we got on okay, just not quite well enough to see each other a third time, hmm, actually she ran away the last time I saw her, its damned disconcerting when that happens.

I loved the film, comic book aye, but to me it was a film about manufacturing engineering, a film about design and manufacture.

Encountering design and management problems and solving them. Making problems go away.

It was an idealist movie.

Alas in real life problems don't go away. You can't fix something and it stays fixed, you can't give folk simple tasks to do without it coming back and you have to do it yourself.

I'm checking a bill of materials, its wrong and needs checking manually cos the software that generates it crashs when you try to run certain reports. There's no one here who can fix it, there's not enough time or energy to get someone else to fix it. Instead there's me checking six hundred components, line by line, trying to use my mad ninja manufacturing engineer skillz to sense if something is wrong...

What? a 4K7 0805 resistor going to ground? That can't be right, I'm sure it was a 4R7 1206.

I'm not sure what resistors do, I don't know what this one does, but I have to speak to two or three people to find out if this part has actually changed or if its just a mistake and what could possibly go wrong if its changed.

Why can't we just curl up on that sofa now and watch DVDs until we fall asleep?

Why are there always things in the way. Why's it so difficult? Why don't the problems ever go away?

No comments:

Post a Comment