Monday 17 September 2007

Pondering Scale part 1

So a colleague at works in convinced there's ways to ake money out of the gig review website, but I reckon the scene is too small, the constituency is only a hundred or so people, rather than the thousands required to reap profit.

So how big is the constituency? and how to find out the size?

First stop is Technorati to check out other similar sites in the local-core and Indiepop spheres. Technorati rates sites by 'Authority' which is the number of other sites which link into each site. I'm finding sites in this constituency by searching for the same bands:

Indie MP3 - Authority 234
PopCop - Authority 20
Bowlie - Authority 16
Manic Pop Thrills - Authority 15
Too Much Applepie - Authority 12
Last Night From Glasgow Indie Eyespy - Authority 12
C64 Take-Away - Authority 9
Not Quite Rocket Science - Authority 8

That's it really for the long-tail and mid-tail, well, there's a handfull of personal blogs too and bands own, but I feel awkward counting them.

Now, as an authority twelve blog I get about 20 unique hits per day. I an only assume thems with less Authority get less, and thems with more get more. It probably grows exponentially, with Indie MP3 being the top of the heap for indie, before you get into the realms of Drowned In Sound and Pitchfork, on who's turf I can't tread.

I'm one man. I write 95% of the reviews on the site and have no taste in music so to speak.

Traffic's been pretty constant for the past seven months, spikey when there's have been controvertial reviews, but in order to increase traffic, I'm going to have tio change the mix.

and that's why I'm gonna do a webcast. I have a handful of bootleggish exclusive content I can sling on, and the surreal/controversial stuff I can sprout should be a draw, the rest I can nick from MySpace.

No comments:

Post a Comment