Sunday 19 June 2011

Carving: A week passes

Whittling is so much fun. I come home from work, check the mail, grab my Wilkinsons £4.98 chisel set and sidle into the back yard.

I started off last week just using a stanley knife and a steel rule to get the right spacing and the initial cuts. But now I'm going at it like hammer and tongs chiselling out the screw thread.

Sure its a little wonky, but hey, its my first attempt at this sort of thing and it looks just like how its supposed to according to my plan.
Yeah, so like the pitch is 4cm and because I have two starts the lead is 8cm. I'm aiming to get the thread depth to be around 30%, but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to do that with just a knife and chisels, so at some point I'm going to have to acquire a nice file, but that'll be in a few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment